Today, in Congress a vote was held to repeal the Affordable Care Act. It was announced at the last minute, and has not yet been scored by the Non-Partisan Congressional Budget Office. We will all find out in days to come what the full impact of this will be.
But we do know this much.
1. Congressman Trent Kelly, Congressman Gregg Harper, and Congressman Steven M. Palazzo voted yes for this bill. Then went and celebrated in the Rose Garden at the White House.
2. Congress added a provision exempting themselves from the bill.
3. Trumpcare will impact Employer Provided Plans. According to the Wall Street Journal, "Many people who obtain health insurance through their employers - about half the country - could be at risk of losing protections that limit out-of-pocket cost for catastrophic illnesses."
4. Trumpcare cuts special education services. According to the New York Times, "The bill would hurt school districts' ability to provide special education services by allowing states to no longer consider schools eligible Medicaid providers."
5. Immediately after passage the bill was condemned by the American Medical Association.
6. Then there is the issue of pre-existing conditions. In the state of Mississippi alone 1,195,900 people under the age of 65 will be impacted (49% of the population); 173,700 of those are children.
-299,400 in Rep. Trent Kelly's District 1
-302,300 in Rep. Gregg Harper's District 3
-307,400 in Rep. Steven M. Palazzo's District 4
In 553 days these folks will face re-election. There is work to do and we need your help.